2018 Yamaha Star Eluder
Elude Conformity, and Everything Else
The ultimate full dress bagger combines huge, emotional V-Twin power and near-sport tourer level handling with state-of-the-art comfort, styling and infotainment features.
- High Torque Engine with Cutting- Edge Rider Aids: Featuring a torque-rich 1854cc air-cooled V-twin, Star Eluder® produces smooth, effortless passing power even when fully loaded. And with ride-by-wire throttle control, traction control and selectable riding modes, the Eluder raises the bar for the classic V-twin bagger class.
- Integrated Infotainment System: With paired fairing-mounted speakers and a large, high-mounted, touch- and voice-controlled infotainment system, the Star Eluder puts the rider in command. Music, navigation, communications and vehicle systems are integrated cleanly into a single system that sets new standards for two-wheeled technology.
- Carefully-Developed Ergonomics: Star Eluder is designed around rider and passenger needs straight from the dealership floor, with a roomy rider positioning and adjustable controls. Heated seats for both rider and passenger come standard, with a low seat height for confidence at every stop.
- Advanced Chassis: Designed around a rigid chassis and advanced suspension systems, the Star Eluder is built to offer Yamaha’s renowned handling ability when the road turns twisty, with excellent comfort and straight-line confidence.
- GT Option Package: Riders that step up to the Star Eluder GT Option Package enjoy enhanced infotainment features including a CB radio, GPS navigation and SiriusXM®, as well as the confidence of an integrated security alarm system.
- High Tech Meets High Torque: A massive 1854cc air-cooled V-twin powers Star Eluder with an arm-stretching 126 pound-feet of torque, for effortless passing power even when fully loaded. And while the competition promotes their “new” four-valve cylinder heads, Yamaha has been refining the four-valve, twin-spark-plug, pent-roof engine design for nearly 20 years, delivering exceptional power and drivability that leaves the rest of the class in the dust.
- Smooth Running and Charismatic: The Star Eluder engine delivers its huge torque with a thrilling V-twin pulse that brings excitement to every ride. And thanks to lightweight forged alloy pistons, carefully-tuned counterbalancers and advanced composite engine mounts, the Star Eluder creates a luxuriously smooth ride, whether cruising across town or across the state line.
- Six-Speed Transmission: The six-speed gearbox features ratios chosen to make the most of the huge low-end torque available from the 1854cc engine, for brisk acceleration in lower gears and relaxed highway cruising—at 75 mph in sixth gear, the Star Eluder will run at an ultra-smooth 2750 rpm.
- Integrated Oil Tank and Cooler: The Star Eluder engine features a semi-dry-sump design, lowering the effective center of gravity by allowing the engine to sit lower in the frame, and the external oil tank is integrated into the aluminum subframe to centralize mass and reduce weight. And to maintain ideal engine temperatures, a compact oil cooler is hidden between the front down tubes.
- Ride-by-Wire Engine Control: Star Eluder features Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Throttle, or YCC-T®, a ride-by-wire throttle control system that converts the rider’s grip input into precise throttle control, for impeccable engine response and enhanced levels of refinement from the high-torque engine.
- Advanced Rider Assisting Technology: With the advent of YCC-T, Star Eluder is able to mount a variety of advanced rider assistance technologies, including Yamaha D-Mode and traction control. D-Mode allows the rider to choose from two different throttle response settings: an ultra-smooth touring mode, and a sport mode for sharper response. The traction control system helps prevent wheel spin when dealing with reduced traction road conditions, for enhanced rider confidence and control.
- Integrated Cruise Control: Yamaha’s refined cruise control system comes standard, using YCC-T ride-by-wire technology to provide a convenient push-button solution to ease long highway jaunts.
- Assist and Slipper Clutch: Yamaha’s assist and slipper clutch uses internal ramps to provide additional clamping force under acceleration along with the proven advantages of a back-torque-reducing, slipper-style clutch. This two- way design uses lighter clutch springs to reduce clutch lever effort, and provides smoother deceleration, especially when downshifting aggressively.
- Carefully Tuned Twin Exhaust: The Star Eluder’s exhaust system features a twin-muffler design with the throaty V-twin exhaust note that V-twin bagger fans seek. Yamaha carefully developed the exhaust tone throughout the entire rpm range in collaboration with the audiophiles at Yamaha Music, for a thrilling soundtrack on every ride.
- Electrical Power to Spare: Star Eluder features paired alternators – mounted low and forward in the engine cases – to provide ample electrical power for the heated seats, audio system and lighting. With 750 watts of total output, riders can feel free to add common electrical accessories or heated apparel without taxing the bike’s charging system.
- State-of-the-Art Infotainment System: Mounted high in the cockpit for excellent visibility, the 7-inch full-color LCD display puts a huge array of information and control at the rider’s fingertips. Controlled via touchscreen, handlebar controls or voice commands, this infotainment package gives the rider access to vehicle control and data, a range of audio sources and wireless Bluetooth® communications options. The locking fairing storage includes a USB charging and interface port to keep devices topped up, too.
- Communications Suite: By linking a Bluetooth®-equipped smartphone, the Star Eluder keeps the rider in touch with the outside world directly through the infotainment display.
- Audio Entertainment: Mounting paired high-performance speakers, the Star Eluder audio package is ready to rock and roll. Pick up favorite local radio stations, bring your pre-recorded music with you, or stream Pandora® from your smartphone, thanks to the onboard USB, AUX stereo, or Bluetooth® wireless connection options.
- GT Option Package Special Features: Riders stepping up the Star Eluder GT Option Package are provided with a range of infotainment upgrades. GPS navigation with points-of-interest and route logging makes it easy to plan, share and upload ride routes from the comfort of your home computer. A CB radio system keeps you in touch with other road users near and far. SiriusXM® keeps the tunes pumping across the state or across the country, while SiriusXM Travel Link® satellite weather and traffic keeps riders ahead of the conditions.* (*with optional subscription)
- Agile, High-Rigidity Frame: The Star Eluder is built around an advanced hybrid chassis designed for agile, confidence-inspiring handling, with advanced composite engine mounts that isolate vibration without sacrificing chassis rigidity. The main steel frame is precisely tuned for optimal handling, while the rear subframe makes use of Yamaha’s advanced aluminum die-casting techniques to reduce weight and centralize mass even further. The balanced chassis gives the Eluder a combination of solid straight-line stability with agility on the curviest of roads.
- Centralized Mass: Thanks to the semi-dry-sump engine, advanced frame design and careful positioning of major components, turn-in and direction changes require less effort, for a sporty, responsive ride with less fatigue.
- Plush, Large-Diameter Fork: A huge 46mm telescopic fork features damping and spring rates selected to offer an ideal balance of bump absorption and high speed handling, all without losing a light and responsive road feel. The Star Eluder is a true riders’ machine that combines real-world road-holding performance with the plush comfort expected from a touring motorcycle.
- Linkage-Type Shock: The rear suspension features a linkage-type system with a gas-pressurized shock to create a compact design with a plush, controlled feel. As with the front fork, damping and spring rates were carefully considered to give the Star Venture an ideal balance of comfort and road feedback, and convenient tuning is provided thanks to a remote rear shock spring preload adjuster.
- Powerful Linked Brakes with ABS: The Star Eluder gives its rider unbeatable braking confidence thanks to high-performance, triple-disc brakes featuring advanced electronic control. Yamaha’s Unified Braking System dynamically adjusts front and rear brake force balance in real time to ensure linear braking feel and power. And Yamaha’s refined antilock braking system (ABS) prevents wheel lock-ups when dealing with reduced traction road conditions.
- Stylish Machined Alloy Wheels: Lightweight front and rear aluminum alloy wheels are finished with machined detailing that highlights the combination of lightness and strength. Up front, the 18-inch wheel features a 130/70 radial tire for light and neutral steering feel, while the rear 16-inch rim mounts a huge 200/55 radial for stunning style and road holding.
- Class Leading Fuel Capacity: The Star Eluder features a huge 6.6-gallon fuel tank for exceptional range. Riders now have the freedom to journey further than ever.
- Adjustable Ergonomics: A premium luxury motorcycle should provide easily customized comfort, and the Star Eluder has you covered. Both hand levers offer five-position span adjustments, long floor boards give you plenty of room to stretch out, and passenger floorboards can be adjusted between two positions. The deeply padded seat—with an unladen height of only 27.4 inches—makes planting both feet on the pavement easy, too.
- Stylish Full Coverage Fairing: Featuring a stylish full-coverage fairing with just the right amount of classic American muscle car attitude, Star Eluder provides an awesome balance of style and highway-ready wind protection. And thanks to the frame-mounted design, steering remains light and neutral compared to competitors’ fork-mounted designs.
- Heated Luxury Comes Standard: No matter if the ride calls for a cool morning or a frozen mountain pass, Star Eluder keeps both rider and passenger comfortable thanks to adjustable heated seating for two—with accessory grip and hand warmers available as well.
- LED Lighting: Long rides don’t stop when the sun goes down, so the Star Eluder features all-LED lighting to maximize illumination. LED brake lights and turn signals boost visibility, while the quad LED headlight assembly punches a huge hole in the darkness with crisp, bright light. And since LED technology uses less power and lasts longer than traditional bulbs, Star Eluder owners can spend more time concentrating on riding.
- Advanced Luggage System: Star Eluder features a pair of cavernous saddlebags as well as two upper and one lower fairing storage compartments. To provide both convenience and security, the USB-equipped fairing storage compartment and saddlebags feature electric locking lids straight from the factory.
- Smart Key System: Simplify every ride thanks to Yamaha’s Smart Key system. The remote key fob only needs to be in the rider’s pocket in order to access the luggage system, start the bike, and ride.
- Huge Accessory Range: Personalizing a Star Eluder is even easier, thanks to a full range of Genuine Yamaha Accessories, including the classic heel-and-toe shifter, passenger backrest with luggage rack, or stylish auxiliary driving lights. For details on the full range of accessories, check out shopyamaha.com.
- Confidence-Inspiring Warranty: Star Eluder riders can hit the road knowing that Yamaha is behind them for years to come, thanks to a full 5-year warranty coverage.* (*1 year limited factory warranty + 4 years Yamaha Extended Service = 5 years coverage. Certain exclusions apply, see terms of each for details.)
- GT Option Package Special Features: In addition to the enhanced infotainment features, the Star Eluder GT Option Package includes an alarmed security system to keep your investment safe from threats, whether you’re riding around town or around the country.
- Engine Type: 113-cu.in. (1854cc) air-cooled OHV V-twin; 8 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 100.0mm x 118.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Fuel Delivery: Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T and D-Mode
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate assist and slipper wet clutch
- Final Drive: Belt
- Suspension / Front: 46mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock with remote preload adjustment; 4.3-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm; Unified Brake System and ABS
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 320mm; Unified Brake System and ABS
- Tires / Front: 130/70R18 Bridgestone® Exedra®
- Tires / Rear: 200/55R16 Bridgestone® Exedra®
- L x W x H: 98.0 in. x 38.4 in. x 55.5 - 50.2 in.
- Seat Height: 27.4 in.
- Wheelbase: 67.6 in.
- Rake (Caster Angle): 31.0 deg.
- Trail: 5.7 in.
- Maximum Ground Clearance: 5.5 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 6.6 gal.
- Fuel Economy: 34.0 mpg
- Wet Weight: 875 lb.
- Warranty: 5 Year Warranty Coverage* (*1 year limited factory warranty + 4 years Yamaha Extended Service = 5 years coverage)
NOTES:Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight. Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
- Engine Type
- OHV V-twin; 8 valves
- 113-cu.in. (1854cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 100.0mm x 118.0mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T and D-Mode
- TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- 6-speed; multiplate assist and slipper wet clutch
- Final Drive
- Front Suspension
- 46mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
- Rear Suspension
- Single shock with remote preload adjustment; 4.3-in travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm; Unified Brake System and ABS
- Rear Brakes
- Hydraulic disc, 320mm; Unified Brake System and ABS
- Front Tire
- 130/70R18 Bridgestone® Exedra®
- Rear Tire
- 200/55R16 Bridgestone® Exedra®
- 67.6 in.
- Seat Height
- 27.4 in.
- 31.0 deg.
- 5.7 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 6.6 gal.
- 34.0 mpg
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 875 lb.
- Impact Blue, Raven, Liquid Silver
- 5 Year Warranty Coverage* (*1 year limited factory warranty + 4 years Yamaha Extended Service = 5 years coverage)